Share This Post With Others
Despite recent turmoil in the football program, Penn State University's reputation stands as one of the premier Big Ten Conference schools for athletics. From football stars to volleyball players, Penn State provides an assortment of competitive sports and rigorous academics to prepare athletes for future careers. With 68 championships under its belt, Penn State prides itself as an academic institution that builds character in young students and athletes.
With wrestling, volleyball and football serving as the big draw for male athletes, female stars may want to don the blue and white colors in a chance to play for the dominate volleyball or gymnastics teams for the Nittany Lions. Penn State serves as the top school for student-athletes looking to pursue a degree in sports medicine, sports psychology or sports management. Consider the following:
- Competing Against the Best . The Big Ten Conference features some of the top schools in the country, including the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Ohio State University, and Purdue University. Penn State athletes get the opportunity to test their skills against players from these top schools in several NCAA Division I sports, including football, volleyball, basketball, soccer and lacrosse.
Before game day, the dedicated couching staff and professionals with years of experience will guide athletes to victory. Athletes will have access to the most experienced professionals in the country to elevate their own skills.
- Athletic Department. Being part of a winning tradition at Penn State is but one perk about being a Nittany Lion. Athletes get access to some of the best sports facilities in the country. With state-of-the-art exercise rooms, weight rooms and access to medical professionals, athletes will feel as if they are part of a professional sports team.
- First-Year Enrichment Program. The transition from high school to college can present a series of challenges for a student. The demands of college professors can put pressure on a student while dorm life can leave students missing home. The first-year enrichment program at Penn State is built to help student athletes handle the pressure of school and the expectations of an athlete.
Student-athletes will be paired up in small classrooms to learn how to manage emotions, handle success and failures and improve their communication abilities. The enrichment program serves as a vital tool for ensuring the success of Penn State student-athletes.
- Career Development. Penn State athletics prides itself with putting academics first. Penn State athletes can choose from an assortment of majors to pick from to develop a career path to help them after they finish school. Counselors will help students interested in sports medicine locate classes to help meet their goals. Under the guidance of professors, students will be challenged and work side-by-side with educators who have a wealth of experience in their respected fields.
- Counselors will also assist students ready to graduate prepare resume and cover letters. Students will learn performance skills to succeed in their respected career, from getting hands-on training via an internship or setting up students with promising fellowships.
Students hoping to purse a challenging athletic career mixed with rigorous academics may want to consider what Penn State has to offer. With a helpful coach staff to improve your abilities to counselors and professors hoping to fulfill your career goals, Penn State makes for the perfect choice.
Penn State University (2012)
CBS Interactive (2012)
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive PennStateCentral.com Sports Analysis straight to your inbox!