Share This Post With Others
It was everything that surrounded it that bothered me. As a for instance:
- Flat coming out of the tunnel - This is truly getting old, it is a non factor crowd wise to just run out on the field and throw the obligatory fist pump
- The Student Section is bare - Not sure how this changed over the years, maybe it is a drinking thing like a lot of people think it is, but it is hard to look down on 30 empty rows, just not acceptable.
- Blank Stares - You could see them from 36000 feet, like a business meeting with no agenda. I was waiting for Bolden to pull out index cards like we had in IM’s (Champs by the way). Hopefully they would give him more than the 12 plays he gets to run now.
- Finally this coaching staff is embarrassed and knows they are not long for happy valley
Leads me to my next topic, who is the next guy in charge? Inside or Outside? PA Guy or Not? College Coaching Experience or No? Head Coaching Experience or NO?
With all of that being said here are a local’s thoughts and observations on the topic, with my list of 6 candidates:
- Tom Bradley- We all have to realize that this is the guy that Joe wants. As a matter of fact I have a hunch that Joe will never forgive the University if they go outside the program. Now the good news is that with recent HC hires in the other sports I think PSU has put the staff on notice that it wants to win, foremost. The bad news is that “scrap” is not helping his cause these days with showings like Saturday. One could argue that there are others on the staff that deserves a shot, but realistically I do not think anyone gets one.
- Greg Schiano- I have a lot of friends that are truly excited about this possibility. I do not agree with them at all. Call me old school but I have issues with a guy that runs up the score on an academy. And really what has he done? All things considered Rutgers is a viable football program for the first time in years, but do you wake up every Sunday to see what Rutgers did? Let me answer for you…no.
- Al Golden- Interesting thought here. Temple football is relevant, that is amazing. But in reality again, is that good enough for the next guy in line? Again unless you are from Philly, you are not hustling back to tailgating to check the temple score, or waiting for the big “Scores of Other Games” announcement at the game. Give him credit though, he has a good team and deserves a shot, just not sure Happy Valley is where he gets it.
- Chris Petersen- Not sure why he would ever leave Boise, but I would like the University to at least go ask him. What has this guy done? What has he not done? He goes and beats Stoops and Oklahoma and now has the Boise team poised to be number 1 in the first BCS calculation. Last I checked the current PSU staff has not done any of that in a long time.
- Kirk Ferentz- Now there is no secret that there seems to be a bit of a fit here. Ferentz is a PA kid that always mentions his respect for the program and Paterno. As I heard many times this year that is a team that plays PSU football better then PSU. Ferentz has brought himself and that program out of the doldrums of college football. Now I would say that 2 things play a factor here: Age and Money. Not that he is old but he is 54, which is getting up there, wait I guess he could coach for at least 25 years, but he makes over 3M a year. That is going to be tough to match based on the rumors of what PSU would like to pay
- Pat Fitzgerald- Okay I am not going to claim this as my idea, but it is interesting. This is a guy who has stuck to what NU wanted him to do, create a football program while maintaining some level of academic standards. Hmm sound familiar? The one thing that excites me about this possibility is the fact that he has also created an exciting brand of football. Spreading things out a bit more, taking some risks and some shots because with the talent level that they are able to get he needed some other game changers. On top of that I would argue that he would keep a couple folks from the staff, at least one in particular: Vanderlinden, which to me would be super.
Just some thoughts to spark some conversation, from a guy that truly would love to be an insider, but really all I am are a local.
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive PennStateCentral.com Sports Analysis straight to your inbox!